Sunday, April 4, 2010

Debby-inspired Bread-making

Now that we've eaten baby bunny bread and it was good, I'll tell the rest of the story. When I was about to shape the dough into a bunny, a light went on and I realized that I had left the honey out of what we call "Honey Bunny Bread" Oops. So I measured the honey and tried to incorporate it into the already-sticky dough. Pretty messy. I dumped it back into the mixer and added a bit more flour. TaDahh. It mixed in just fine and on i went with the process.
And the bread was good.
A metaphor for our lives as Christians? We mess things up good, but there is forgiveness, and when final meal is set, all will be well.
HE IS RISEN. RISEN INDEED.

I wouldn't have made bunny bread this year except that Debby has inspired me to incorporate bread-making into a week's routine.

Now here is a recipe that Debby found and sent to me. Yesterday I started it at 5 p.m. and we left with one of the warm loaves a bit before 7. During risings I was able to shower, clean up the kitchen and get ready to go out. The bread was a hit at dinner.
I adapted it a bit, and it is so easy that I want to pass it on.

Easy French Bread

(It makes 2 small loaves but recipe may be doubled to make 2 large or 4 small loaves. One small loaf serves 4)


Proof Yeast

1T yeast

¼ c warm water

1 t sugar


Mix

1 c warm water

1 T olive oil

1 T honey


Combine

3 to 3 ½ c (white) bread flour

1 t salt


Combine yeast, honey, and flour mixtures. Mix well with dough hook.

Knead 8 minutes.

Cover and allow to rise in bowl until double.

Punch down then allow to rest 10 - 15 minutes.

Divide dough. On floured surface, roll into rectangles.

Roll up from long edge.

Place loaves on greased cookie sheet, make slashes diagonally across top.

Allow to rise until double.


Brush with:

melted butter

Bake @ 400ยบ for 20 minutes


I quit baking bread because of Debby. I was concerned that yeast spores, prevalent in a home where bread is baked frequently, was contributing to a health problem she was having. And now, 25 or so years later, I am having a blast baking bread, thanks to Debby's inspiration.

love you guys,
mom

No comments:

Post a Comment