This morning the traps held a dozen plus slugs and snails who had gleefully drowned themselves in a late-night binge, and I picked the first few berries of the season.
To quote a song that I once heard on Broadway: Small pleasures, small pleasures, who would deny us these... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXRPxv77gN0
Tracker continues to earn his right to sleep in the garage, thanks to his hunting and tracking. Besides the occasional squirrel, possum and vole, he brings in three to four chipmunks a week. If you could watch him play cat and chipmunk you would not doubt that the natural world (the world of the naturalist?) is a cruel place and life for most animals in the wild is solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short. (I admit my role as accessory in this matter and justify it without qualm as I claim the right to keep the fruit of these labors from ones who would take it from me. I remain, Libertarian and Republican to my core.)
And a huge thanks to Pops. 
I have wanted a third apple tree for some time. We planted it last weekend. It is a huge job to plant one tree and I have no idea how orchards get planted.
The trees arrive with bare roots and just a 3' tall stick to go above ground. Yesterday after just three days in the dirt, the little stick showed a few tiny buds.
No apples off this third tree for 2 or 3 years, as they establish themselves much better if the blossoms are pulled off before the fruit forms during the early years.
Not to worry, looks like a great crop from the 2 established trees, will give plenty of applesauce for the grands.
Thanks to Debby for a great visit and for the pictures and post of our time in Niceville 1 1/2 weeks ago. Looking forward to seeing the Wilsons and their new property next weekend
love you guys
No comments:
Post a Comment