Sunday, September 27, 2009

Drive Home from Louisville

Thinking about my drive home from Louisville reminds me of a definition of sailing: hours of boredom interspersed with moments of sheer terror.
Coming down Monteagle it rained so much that it was hard to see. In heavy traffic I started to hydroplane. Went across 2 lanes of traffic and was getting close to the barrier that separates traffic from a very big drop off. I then remembered that my brakes are magic in that they operate independently. So brake I do and regain traction. Of course I'd violated the rule about not turning the wheel, so I veered back into the middle lane. A little swerving, and on I go. Heart goes thump thump thump (thumpthump-thumpthump).

Jamey and Debby, I'm sure you remember our time in Dad's Audi on I-285 when we had a similar experience.
Jamey, you said, "Mommy, are we having an accident?"
"We're about to," I reply.
Then somehow, (once again in heavy traffic) after being all over the road and headed straight for the median at one point, we pulled out and were fine.
You two were still single digits, age-wise. We had recently talked about what angels were/did, and I remember Jamey saying you thought an angel had kept us safe.
I agreed.

Whether it's an angel or their Master, I do feel humbled and watched over. Thank-you, Lord.
Love you guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment